Lemon Poppyseed Muffins are bright and cheerful muffins that are loaded with fresh lemon flavor thanks to fresh juice and zest. Tender and moist, these muffins are the perfect breakfast or brunch companion!
Nothing makes the day brighter and happier than lemon! This tart and citrusy fruit brings a natural freshness to everything! Not to mention muffins are the perfect tasty treat to serve at breakfast time! If you’re looking for more muffin recipes make sure you check out these Rhubarb Muffins, Denver Omelet Breakfast Muffins, or these Apple Crumb Muffins.
Lemon Poppyseed Muffins
These Lemon Poppyseed muffins are the best, happiest way to start the day! Loaded with fresh lemon juice and zest these muffins are so flavorful! Plus they are ultra tender thanks to using some Greek Yogurt. The delightful crunch of the poppyseeds makes these a delightful morning treat. Quick and easy to put together these muffins can be made first thing in the morning, served as a highlight at a brunch, or even made in advance and frozen to serve as needed.
These Lemon Poppyseed Muffins are:
- Quick and easy to make. Making them perfect for breakfast!
- Tender and moist with a bit of crunch thanks to the poppyseeds.
- Easy to freeze and enjoy when needed.
- Sweet and tart thanks to using lemon zest and FRESH lemon juice.
How to make lemon poppyseed muffins:
- Mix the lemon zest with the sugar.
- Combine the remaining wet ingredients with the lemon sugar.
- Mix together the dry ingredients in another small bowl.
- Combine. Stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.
- Stir in poppyseeds.
Storage and Freezing:
Leftovers: store any leftover muffins in a container at room temperature for 3-4 days.
Freezing: these muffins freeze wonderfully. Once cooled, add the muffins to a freezer safe container or bag. They will keep for 2-3 months. Thaw by removing and putting in the refrigerator or on the counter. You can also put them in the microwave for 15-20 seconds to thaw and warm up.
Tips for making these the BEST muffins:
- Lemon Zest: Infuse the sugar with the lemon zest to help spread the lemon flavor throughout the entire batch.
- Greek Yogurt: Use greek yogurt for extra moisture. Other options would be to use sour cream or even buttermilk.
- Bake at high heat: the first burst of heat is high, at 425℉. This gives a nice rise to the muffins. Then after the first 5 minutes of baking, turn the heat down to 350℉ to continue baking. Don’t open the door during the baking time.
More Lemon Recipes to Enjoy:
Lemon Poppyseed Muffins
- Muffin Tin
- ¾ cup sugar
- zest 2 lemons
- 8 tbsp unsalted butter melted and cooled
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup greek yogurt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup milk
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 2 tbsp poppyseeds
Preheat oven to 425℉. Line muffin tin with paper liners. Set aside.
In a large mixing bowl combine the sugar and lemon zest together to infuse the sugar with the lemon flavor, will be fragrant.
In the bowl with the sugar combine the melted butter, eggs, greek yogurt, vanilla, milk, and lemon juice. Stir to combine.
In a separate medium size mixing bowl combine the dry ingredients: flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Stir to combine.
Add the dry ingredients into the wet and stir just until combined. Then add the poppyseeds and stir to disperse.
Scoop about 1/4 cup of batter, or use a large trigger cookie scoop, into the muffin tin. Each muffin cup should be about 3/4 full.
Bake at 425℉ for 5 mins, then turn the heat down to 350℉ and continue baking an additional 14-16 minutes. Don't open the oven door.
When baking is finished, muffins will be domed, and a toothpick inserted in the center will come out clean. Remove and allow to cool several minutes before serving.
Leave a comment