The only thing better than pumpkin pie is BOURBON PUMPKIN PIE! Made with brown sugar, pumpkin pie spice, and a big glug of bourbon, this pie is exploding with flavor and always a hit at the holidays! This is sure to become your new favorite pumpkin pie recipe!
Bourbon Pumpkin Pie Recipe
Its no secret we love baking with bourbon! A few of our favorite bourbon infused recipes?
- Brown Butter Bourbon Pecan Chocolate Chunk Cookies
- Cinnamon Apple Bourbon Hand Pies
- Bourbon Molasses Cookies
- Blueberry Bourbon Hand Pies
- and Bourbon Pecan Blondies
But todays new recipe might just be my FAVORITE bourbon recipe ever! Because lets be real is there anything better than a slice of richly spiced BOURBON SPIKED pumpkin pie?! I dont think so! Especially not when its topped with a dollop of homemade whipped cream. If youre looking to serve a surefire hit for dessert this Thanksgiving, this pie is for you!!!
Pumpkin Pie Ingredients
- pie crust: use your favorite pie crust recipe, or use my foolproof all butter pie crust which, in my biased opinion, is the best and easiest pie dough ever!
- pumpkin puree: not pumpkin pie filling! I love using organic pumpkin puree, but use whatever brand you know and love!
- granulated sugar: for sweetness!
- light brown sugar: our second sweetener! Be sure to pack your brown sugar in the measuring cup.
- bourbon: 3 tablespoons! This amount adds just the right amount of bourbon flavor. We use Bulleit bourbon, but use whatever you have on hand.
- eggs: bring your eggs to room temperature before using them! Youll use 2 whole eggs and then 1 egg yolk. Either discard the egg white or store it for a later use!
- evaporated milk: not to be substituted with regular milk, heavy cream, sour cream, etc.!!!
- pumpkin spice, cinnamon, ginger, and ground cardamom: our spices! This combination adds the perfect punch of warm and cozy spice to the pie.
- all-purpose flour: just a teaspoon thickens the filling up.
- vanilla extract: a dash enhances all of the other flavors in this pie!
- salt: balances the flavors.
How to Make Pumpkin Pie
- Preheat oven to 425F. Roll out your pie dough on a lightly floured surface. Place your pie plate. Place the pie plate on a baking sheet and pop in the fridge while youre making the filling. I like to chill my pie dough in the pie dish for at least 30 minutes. This helps it keep its shape! P.S. no need to fill the pie with weights or prebake.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the pumpkin puree, both sugars, vanilla, and bourbon. Add in the eggs and yolk. Whisk in the evaporated milk, pumpkin spice, cinnamon, ginger, cardamom, flour, and salt.
- Pour the mixture into the pie shell and bake for 15 minutes. Then reduce the heat to 350F and continue baking for 50 minutes.
- Cool completely on a wire rack, then transfer the pie to the refrigerator and chill for at least another 2 hours before slicing.
How to Avoid Cracks in Pumpkin Pie
The secret to a thick and creamy pumpkin pie with NO cracks? DONT OVERBAKE! And of course, dont over bake. Youll want to bake the pie for about 65 minutes, or until the pie is set at the edges but the center is still jiggly. Dont fear the jiggle! Because this pie will continue to firm up as it cools. Overbaking will definitely cause the pie to crack.
Can you Freeze Pumpkin Pie?
Oh yes, sweetie!!! This Bourbon Pumpkin Pie freezes exceptionally well! And you can keep it in the freezer for up to 2 months! I always advise making one or two a few weeks before a big holiday, so you have dessert prepped and ready to go! Simply thaw the frozen pie overnight, in the fridge, before you plan on serving it.
Pumpkin Pie Recipes:
- Pumpkin Pie Cheesecake Bars
- Chai Spice Pumpkin Pie
- Classic Pumpkin Pie Cheesecake
- Brown Butter Pumpkin Pie
- Greek Yogurt Pumpkin Pie Bars
AND IF YOU TRY THIS RECIPE FOR BOURBON PUMPKIN PIE, LET ME KNOW! LEAVE A COMMENT BELOW AND DONT FORGET TO SNAP A PIC AND TAG IT#BAKERBYNATUREON INSTAGRAM! SEEING YOUR KITCHEN CREATIONS MAKES OUR DAY.
Bourbon Pumpkin Pie
Author Ashley Manila
Yield 9" Pie
The only thing better than Pumpkin Pie? Bourbon Pumpkin Pie! Richly spiced and silky smooth, this is always a crowd-pleaser especially on Thanksgiving!
- 1 recipe foolproof all-butter pie crust
- (1) 15 ounce can pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup (50g/1 and 3/4 ounces) granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup (159g/5 and 5/8 ounces) light brown sugar, packed
- 3 Tablespoons bourbon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs plus 1 egg yolk, at room temperature
- 1 can (12-ounces) evaporated milk
- 2 and 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin spice
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 425F (218C). Have ready and refrigerated one pastry-lined 9-inch pie plate (see foolproof all-butter pie crust).
- In a large mixing bowl, add the pumpkin puree, both sugars, bourbon, and vanilla and whisk well to combine. Add in the eggs and yolk, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Whisk in the evaporated milk, pumpkin spice, cinnamon, ginger, cardamom, flour, and salt.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pie shell and bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes. Then reduce the heat to 350F (177C) and continue baking for 55 minutes, or until the edges are set and the center barely moves when you gently shake the pan back and forth.
- Place the pie plate on a wire rack and cool for 2 hours, then transfer the pie to the refrigerator and chill for at least another 2 hours before slicing.
- Store pie, covered in the refrigerator, for up to 3 days.